Flour Overview for Bakers
Being able to mill small batches of different wheat varieties and then really appreciate the wonderful variations in taste and performance of the unique flours is one of the great advantages of traditional milling on a small scale.
Here is a brief description of each of the flours we are producing. Our flours are stoneground from organic grains supplied by certified organic growers or grain merchants. They contain only products of the whole grain, we do NOT INCLUDE any additives, baking ‘improvers’ or extra gluten.
1. Wholemeal bread making… We are presently milling an ‘on farm’ mixture of modern wheats (Mulika, Paragon and Granary) which has been grown in the Vale of Glamorgan at Slade Farm. Routinely we mill quite finely but can produce a coarser flour on request.
We also have a winter wheat, Crusoe, grown by Graham Morris at Henllys Farm, Cwmbach near Builth Wells. The wholemeal from this grain bakes a delicious sourdough loaf. Though not organically certified, it has been grown conscientiously with minimal inputs.
2. Locally Grown Grain…This season we are milling a winter wheat grown in Aberystwyth, a modern variety, Nelson. It produces a soft wholemeal and makes excellent scones, soda bread and cakes. With the addition of about 20% strong white flour it produces a very tasty loaf.
Also available is a small amount of a 1930’s variety, kamagra vs viagra Atle, grown in Fronlas, Trelech which is milling to produce a soft white flour.
4. Sieved flour, from each of the above varieties, about 60% extraction, all bake a light loaf with a good flavour.
5. Semolina and Bran…from the sieving process to make the white,
6. Wholemeal Spelt…milled from biodynamically grown grain (variety Frankencorn) from Jo Bradley at Hungary Lane Farm, Sutton Bonington.
7. Wholemeal Rye …biodynamically grown rye from Jo Bradley at Hungary Lane Farm, Sutton Bonington.
9. Wholemeal Barley Flour ….Naked barley from Mark Lea at Green Acres Farm, Shifnal, Shropshire, mills to produce a delicious, sweet, earthy flour which bakes interesting loaves, cakes and biscuits.